Do you remember birthday parties when we were younger? There would be a pinata, return gifts, a lot of cake, a bouncy castle and a trampoline. Or when school would close for the summer break, do you remember that? Your grandparents would encourage you to spend time in the outdoors playing with your friends and siblings. At Ojas Way, we are big advocates of the aspect of play and today we are going to talk about the benefits of the trampoline, also known as the rebounder.
Rebounding is reported to burn more calories than walking or jogging without impacting your joints. In fact, NASA studied the benefits when they were trying to find a sustainable way for astronauts maintain health and retain muscle+bone density after being in space for long periods. The best part- you don’t have to do it for 60 minutes because even 10-15 minutes regularly can yield great results.
It turns out that this should become a staple in gyms, homes, people’s offices and at social gatherings because it is so good for adults too. Here are some of the benefits-
- It is a fun way to burn calories + boost metabolism which could help you keep the weight off.
- Jumping on a trampoline could help to reduce the appearance of cellulite.
- It is known to stimulate the lymphatic system and facilitate lymphatic drainage.
- Regulars who use the trampoline swear by its effects on their digestion.
- A trampoline workout can be a really effective cardiovascular exercise without exerting the heart too much.
- It is healthier than running or jogging on the pavement as it is gentler on your knee and other joints.
- Regular rebounding could help build bone mass and bone density and prevent injuries/ sprains.
- It is a fun way to release endorphins+happy hormones that will help you manage stress better
- Jumping improves balance and coordination, especially in the middle-aged and elderly.
- It is also known to help oxygenate the whole body and improve blood circulation.
- With time, you might notice strong and shapely legs, specifically calf muscles and glutes.
- Lastly but most importantly, rebounding is a great way to rekindle the child in you and it is a lot of fun. You can choose to do this in the comfort of your own home, with a buddy, in your office wellness area or in your gym.
We hope you are convinced by all these benefits because we sure are…
How does it really work?
You might not know this but jumping or rebounding, when done correctly, can be a whole body exercise that works at toning and burning calories at once. The reason for this is what people refer to as the G Force. Now simply put, the G-force, refer to the force created because of gravity. This is best illustrated by jumping off the trampoline.
Don’t fret, you don’t have to always jump so high so that your feet leave the ground. In fact, even jumping slightly, while your feet are placed on the ground, can boost immunity, reset your hormone systems and help with stress release. Start slow and slowly amp it up when you are comfortable with the rebounder. Also, remember to keep your knees slightly bent when you lift off the rebounder for a safe, injury-free workout. Remember to do what feels right by you.
You can start to see the results if you practice it daily at your local community centre or gym. Some people we know have bought a mini trampoline for the office and we are thinking about it as well. At Ojas Way, we believe that sometimes less is more and that starting with 5 minutes every day, done diligently, could also yield tremendous results.
Put on some fun tunes and put your trampoline in an area free from obstructions. Happy jumping! Remember to be safe, to do only as much as feels comfortable and to have fun. Until next time…